Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Being Sherriff is a Hard Job

We've got some new "family" rules in the Griggs house. Al and I discussed how the kids will be disciplined from here on out because - quite honestly, the old way just wasn't working. I know time out and talking works for a lot of people, but it was going no where with us. Now, before anyone jumps to judging me because I believe in spanking - Al and I don't jump right off and spank our kids. If they misbehave, we correct them and give them a warning. We make sure they understand why they are in trouble and what they need to do to stay OUT of trouble. If they continue to misbehave, then yes, they do get a spanking.

My kids are good kids - and 9 out of 10 times the warning has done the trick. Honestly, kids need a little fear of their parents. I had it - to some degree, I still do! I'm not here to be my kids BFF, I'm here to be their mom. Al and I are in charge of molding these kids into adults, so yes, we've upped the anty (is that a word) on disciplining the kids.


This is the part of parenting that I hate. I absolutely hate being the "Bad Cop" but I know it's part of my job. At least I have an awesome Daddy that helps out. And since the new rules have been laid out - the kids behavior has improved A LOT. They are like two different kids. We are laughing, getting along much better, enjoying each other's company - just being happy. Our course they are still kids and still fuss and fight, but not nearly as much as before.

Sometimes you have to lay down the law. It ain't easy baby, but it's worth it!

1 comment:

analiese said...

I believe that you have to do what works for your family...as long as you aren't literally beating your kids...which I KNOW YOU ARE NOT DOING :) Balin hardly ever gets a spanking because all I have to do is say, "if you do that again, I will spank your bottom." And that is it. Mostly for him going to his room works...but he is only 3 :) Being a teacher, I am so glad to see parents that think their children NEED to behave! You would not believe what I see parents let their kids get away with these days!