Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Oh Cooper.....

Three years ago I would have never guessed that COOPER would be the kid I would have trouble with in school. Nana picked the kids up today and AGAIN, Cooper was in trouble. He hit another little boy (sorry Collin!) and wouldn't talk to the teachers most of the day. UGH!!! I just don't know what to do with this kid. I know it's behavior that he learned at daycare and it's going to take some time to break him of it. Thing is - Cooper has good days and then he has days like today. I just feel helpless. I mean, there's only so much I feel like I can do - he's only 3! It would be different if he were older, but honestly, how am I supposed to go about this? I talk to him - explain why he shouldn't do certain things, but how do I know that will work? Can a 3 year old really comprehend a "lecture"? I don't want to be one of *those* moms with the mean kid in class that everyone dislikes. Cooper can be super loving and sweet but turn right around and be mean as all get out. And I certainly can't sit here and say "oh, he's just a boy" because I know other boys in his class that haven't gotten in nearly as much trouble as him! I just feel like the daycare the kids went too taught Cooper to be aggressive because he's smaller than like 90% of other kids his age and to stand up for himself. Problem is - it's really biting him in the butt right now because it's not behavior that is good for school. I need advice - how would you handle this situation?

No comments: