Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Never Liked a Bully

I hate bullies.

Growing up, I never really had a problem with a bully at school. Of course, I had a permanent one at home with my older brother. :) I would like to think I was just too, too cool for anyone NOT to like me but the truth is - growing up, I was protected. And her name was Tommi Lynn Lloyd. TL was tough (still is!) - we were BFFs and lived next door to each other - so, no one messed with ME....because they'd have to mess with HER.

So....I don't really know how to handle O's bully situation at school. She comes home almost daily telling me X has been mean to her, stomped on her feet, poked her with a pencil, told her she's fat (which I absolutely could SCREAM about), and told her she "hated" her. It seriously makes me want to cry. This child has made my perfect little Olivia so self conscious about herself that she ordered a SALAD for lunch today. SERIOUSLY???? Yesterday O wanted some V8 because "it's healthy and it'll help me become skinny." I saw RED....I was so close to calling X's mom and giving her an ear full about her kid. And that probably wouldn't have been a very grown up thing to do.

Instead - I told her to ignore X.....to not say a word to her, to turn away and walk in the other direction when she comes over. But it's hard for Olivia. X was her BFF last year - so this has been so hard on my girl. And O can not stand for someone NOT to like her. I can see how it bothers her - and that makes it bother me too. I know I'm her mom and all - but who couldn't love my kid? She's my best friend and she's only 6, almost 7.

Sometimes being a grown up sucks. I'd like to tell O to be mean to X back, but I know that's not the message I need to give my kids. Al and I make sure we tell her every day how perfect she is, how beautiful she is, and how we love her just the way she is. I just hope that's enough.

I hate bullies.....it's even harder from this point of view.......

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, I know it must break your heart! Bullying is the worst. It sounds like X is not very pretty on the inside, and that's the kind that matters anyway. I'm glad your sweet girl has such great parents to help her through this, and hopefully one day X will wake up and want to be just like Olivia!
And btw the Easter pics are adorable! I'm hoping to get some of Gavin soon! Love ya!

hudson4 said...

I'm sorry that Olivia is going through such a tough time...I know it's got to be hard to watch your child hurt...On the other hand I think you did the right thing, and I think the fact that you and Al are such good parents will help Olivia through this tough time...Maybe you should consider talking to O's teacher, so that she could watch out for this negative behavior! I know as a teacher I would want to be told so that I could watch out for it and try to reverse the behavior...love ya!

Jz said...

My baby has dealt w/ the same thing this year. This particular child bullies EVERYone in their room though! It's hard for me not to say anything .... I see him every day! You need to make sure the teacher knows about it. You also need to give OGG power - she needs to confront the bully & tell her that she does not like it. This is, of course, in addition to the advice you've already given. Bullies are NO joking matter! Hugs to your girl!