Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Heart Nicholas Sparks

I fell in love with Nicholas Sparks when I read his very first novel, "The Notebook." If you've never read it - you need too. It's an amazing story of how love triumphs all and soul mates. I guess I love this story because it reminds me so much of 3 couples in my life - my Papa and Granny Hill, my Grandma Alma and my Grandfather, and my parents.

My Papa and Granny Hill were married for over 60 years. SIXTY YEARS.....I can't even imagine. I remember watching them together, rolling my eyes when they called each other "Ma and Pa", but always knowing they *adored* each other. Sometimes when I like to tease Al, I'll call him "Pa" - he thinks I'm nuts, but it's almost a term of endearment for me now. There's a black and white photo of them together right after they married that I love and wish I had a copy of - Granny Hill is so young and beautiful and Papa Hill looks like he came straight from a GQ photo shoot. Every time I see that pic, my mind always goes back to "The Notebook." Even the picture oozes love.

My Grandma Alma lost her one and only true love when she was in her mid 30's. She never remarried and never considered dating another man. They grew up together and were childhood sweethearts. I asked her once why she never remarried and she told "I always knew I would marry Red (his nickname) and I've never wanted to be married to anyone else" - I thought it was crazy at the time, but now......now I totally get it. Her heart was completely devoted to him - even in death. I'm so happy that she's finally reunited with him.

My parents are so funny - they aren't overly affectionate but they absolutely adore each other. They met when they were in high school and married within months of meeting. How crazy is that? And still together after 38 years. They have set a wonderful example for me - marriage isn't always easy, but love always finds an answer. Thanks for being great....I think I probably have the best parents EVER. (Although I still can't believe they started this journey after a few months!)
So what exactly does all this have to do with Nicholas Sparks? Well, just read "The Notebook" and you'll completely understand. He's got tons of books out there - I just finished reading his latest, "The Last Song" (which was good) but his first novel is and always will be - his best work.

1 comment:

analiese said...

Mandy I agree that The Notebook is his best book. I haven't read The Last Song yet, but I would like to soon. My mom and dad also met in high school and married when my mom was only 16 years old. They too have been a wonderful example for Ryan and I. His parents are also a wonderful example. Their marriages haven't always been easy, but they have always stuck it out together. What a sweet post :)