Tuesday, June 19, 2012

When Hermit Crabs attack.....

Sounds like a new TV series that should be on TruTV doesn't it?  Ha ha! 

The kids came home with hermit crabs from their vacation at the beach.  I honestly expected the darn things to be dead by now.  Cooper probably feels the same way now. 

The kids have done GREAT taking care of these things - I've been really impressed to be honest.  I mean, his fish didn't make it 2 weeks after his birthday so I sort of expected to have to care for myself.  Nope - I haven't touch the nasty things.  Which is completely FINE with me!  Ha ha!  The kids play with their crabs, Harley and Davidson, like they are kittens or puppies.  But according to the Internet (which is always true right??) hermit crabs are social creatures and love the interaction.  Supposedly they will get use to you and even let you pet their little heads.  I still find it gross. 

Anyways, last night Cooper was playing with O's larger hermit crab, Harley, and unfortunately, got pinched.  On the thumb.  On the fatty part near the tip -- you know, where it REALLY hurts.  He screamed.  And screamed.  And screamed.  We tried water to get it off, no luck.  We tried pulling it off.  No luck.  Finally Al wedged a stick between Cooper's thumb and mean ass crab and got it to let go.  It broke skin people! 

I was ready to kill the stupid thing for hurting my baby, but the kids wouldn't let me.  Cooper wouldn't have anything to do with them after that, and even this morning, he was bitter.  He holds grudges just as well as I do, so I figure it'll be a few days before he ventures to play with Harley again.  Funny thing about this - Harley is O's crab but she always plays with his small one, Davidson.  I think she knows her crab has a major 'tude. 

You got to love that look.  He was mad, not only at Harley but at me for the fact I didn't have any other band aides other than Hello Kitty!


No comments: