Saturday, September 25, 2010

What's up Nick?

Today Nickelodeon supported and encouraged "World Wide Play Day" - which normally I would say is an absolute WONDERFUL thing. Problem is - isn't Nickelodeon and other channels like that part of the reason "we" felt there was a need to promote such a day?

I'll be the first to admit that I probably use the TV as an easy way out with my kids. Especially at 6am on a Saturday morning. Yes, Mommy likes to sleep a little later than that on the weekends so I'll pull the "ya'll go watch tv" card. Ok, and maybe I pull that card when I'm trying to help O with her homework and Cooper is running around the house at warp speed. I'm sure there's more examples but I'd like to think those are the only two. :)

Anyways, I just feel that although Nick was doing a great thing with this WW Day of Play gig, maybe they should promote playing outside - oh, I don't know - EVERYDAY. Three hours one day just isn't enough in the grand schemes of things. But I jumped on board today - I forced the kids outside in the heat (even though it's officially FALL) and made them play. The only way to keep them from coming in and out every two seconds was to actually go outside with them. *sigh* (That wasn't supposed to be part of the deal!!!!) It didn't last the whole three hours but I did get some outside play time of those two.

No comments: