Monday, October 08, 2012

Red Fox football.....

Always a Red Fox........
 
It's been a crazy time in our little community......on Friday night, a HS player for our team collapsed twice on the field and was rushed to the hospital.  He died later that night before the game was even over.  The cause was due to an enlarged heart he wasn't aware of.  I can't imagine the fear and feeling of hopelessness as people watched the events on the field.  It was homecoming too so attendance was high.  So, so sad.
 
We had almost taken the kids to the game.  I'm thankful now that we got busy doing some things at my parents house and lost track of time.  I don't know that I could have handled it, much less my two babies. 
 
Now I'm thinking - my baby plays football.  I know it's nothing like HS or college football, but there's always that chance of something happening.  Small, small chance, but to a mother, any chance is a big chance.  He's so small and it worries me that he might get hurt.  After Friday, I want to run out on the field every time he goes out there.  I know I can't live my life or let the kids live their lives scared to do *anything* but it's hard.   I don't want to imagine the pain the parents of our lost player is feeling. 
 
I love my town - I love how Hartsville has pulled together and is supporting the team and students.  Today, they wore red in honor of Ronald Rouse.  He was 18 years old.  Just a baby. 
 
Say a prayer for the Rouse family today and in the days ahead.  They have a tough, tough road ahead of them and definitely need God's love and healing to help them through this difficult time.  And if you have kids that play any type of sport - keep a prayer handy to keep them safe.  Life is short and too precious.  

No comments: