Thursday, August 02, 2012

My View

My view on the whole Chic-Fil-A issue?

Love is LOVE.  Every human being deserves the same rights.  There are no grey areas here.  Equality is for all or it's not equality at all. 

I believe in freedom of speech.  I do not believe in hiding behind freedom of speech in order to diminish a person's value as a citizen or to treat someone differently just because of who they love. Or who they are.  Do you know that some of the best people I know are gay?  People that I can honestly say are BETTER people than I am.  I don't spend a lot of time in church, so I can't quote verses like some of my friends.  But I know enough to realize my God loves all sinners; and forgives them too. 

I also know enough to realize that when someone says "Tolerance is a two way street" - well no it's not.  Because the person supporting CFA walks away as a model citizen whereas people I love walk away still being treated as a 2nd class citizen.  You, CFA supporter, walk away with all your rights whereas the gay cashier taking your order does not.  He/She walks away feeling like they are less worthy than everyone else.

This isn't an issue of freedom of speech - and we all know it. 

I support equal rights.  Because when I look at someone, I see a human being.  Not a straight person or a gay person.  Our world would be a better place if everyone could do the same.  

No comments: