Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Food, Inc

Food, Inc is a documentary you need to watch. Seriously. It has changed the way I look at food. I have yet another reason to go organic now. This is going to be tough. Can I get Al on board? Hmm, maybe. He's going to rebel about giving up meat every day - but I think I can compromise with him to limit meat twice a week. You think I'm crazy don't you? Rent Food, Inc and then tell me how crazy I am. Trust me. It's unreal what is done to our foods before we get them at the store.

Rome wasn't built in a day and this change won't happen for us overnight. We already buy a lot of organic food so we'll have to see if there are more options out there. Even adding a few organic items to your pantry is a huge plus. I did make a tiny step forward today - when Pam and I went to lunch at Wendy's, I ordered the baked potato and a side of oranges. I just can't bring myself to eating a fast food burger after seeing that film. I'm sorry Wendy's....trust me, I already miss those Junior Bacon cheeseburgers!

I'm researching places where we can purchase organic meats and even (gasp) tofu recipes. There's no way I can *force* Al to become vegetarian, but he's willing to give it a shot. The health benefits are out of this world. I look at the kids and I see how unhealthy they eat. I'm ashamed as their mom that I've let convenience win over on healthy eating. We've got to do something to encourage the kids to make healthy eating choices as they get older. And the more I learn about the stuff put into our foods, the more I want to do it NOW. I just don't believe that if you add preservatives, antibiotics, etc to what we eat that it won't have some sort of effect on our bodies.

I'm no health nut - please I wish! But I am at a point in my life where I am really taking my health, my husband's health, and my kids' health VERY seriously.

Honestly though, tofu scares me.

No comments: