Sunday, July 18, 2010

RED 40

I was talking to a friend yesterday about our kids - you know, just basic stuff like how school had gone last year, how the summer was going etc. We got around to talking about how hyper one of our kids are and she started talking about Red 40. Turns out, the artificial coloring called Red 40 is used in A LOT of processed food products. And it can cause ADD/ADHD symptoms in some kids. She's eliminated out of her child's diet as much as possible and she said she could tell a HUGE change in him.

Well, that got me thinking.....you all know the Boy is wild right? So, I talked to Al about it last night, did some research about it on my own and we've decided to try to eliminate foods containing Red 40 as much as possible from *all of our's* diet. No reason to make poor little Cooper suffer alone right? :)

I looked through the fridge and cabinets this morning and surprisingly didn't find too much that I had to throw out - of course, it is grocery day and we're down to bare cupboards right now. Grocery shopping today is going to take a little longer than usual because I'm really going to have to pay attention to what is in our favorite foods. And if Red 40 is in them, I've got to find a healthier alternative. It sounds like a ton of work, but if it'll help my Lil' Man - I HAVE to give it a try. Cooper is so smart and such a sweetie but I also know he can be a wild man. And that's the description just about everyone that knows him uses. And that upsets me. So, we're going to give it a chance, try this for about a month or two and see if we see any changes. Hopefully we will. I am kind of excited about the possibilities even though I know it's going to be a pain to keep up with. And to get all of our family on board if we DO see changes, is probably going to be tough too. But we'll take one thing at a time and see how he does. Wish us luck!

If your interested in learning more about Red 40 - check out this blog:

No comments: