Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Believe....

I had a conversation today with a friend about the Tooth Fairy.  We both have kids the same age, same sex, and both had lost teeth around the same time - what else are mothers supposed to talk about? 

She doesn't allow her kids to believe in anything - Tooth Fairy, Santa, Easter Bunny, you name it.  No money under the pillow, no presents from Santa (they do gifts of course) and no Easter baskets.  Honestly, I felt sorry for her kids.  I'm sure they are happy, she's a great mom, but I just wonder if they have any idea on what they are missing out on.  And you know, that's fine if that's what you choose - but for me and my kids, I want them to believe.  Haven't you watched The Polar Express?

Honestly, what does it hurt? 

Have you or anyone you know EVER been hurt so deeply they never recovered from finding out Mom and Dad was Santa all along?  Or Mom and Dad was the Easter Bunny?  Or Mom and Dad had mad ninja skills and put that money under their pillow WITHOUT waking them up?  I don't and I bet you don't either.

The way I see it is this - kids are kids.  When you're a kid, you should be carefree, innocent, and full of belief and wonder.  It's a part of childhood.  Why let your kids in on the secret that when you grow up, you have all kinds of crazy responsibilities.  What's wrong with letting kids believe in Santa?  They won't believe forever - trust me.....so why not give them that time? 

Of course, I'm not saying that kids should be totally oblivious to dangers in the world, etc.  Do you have any idea how much joy it brings me to watch my kids find a dollar under their pillow and a tooth gone?  It's like watching someone perform magic for the first time.  The happiness on my kids faces is priceless.  Same for Santa and the Easter Bunny.  O is nine and Cooper is almost seven, so I know I don't have much longer to hold on to these type memories.  I plan on allowing them to believe for as long as they want. 

So - is there a Tooth Fairy at your house?

No comments: